Thursday, December 28, 2006

What About My House

"What about your own house?" people ask when I tell them what I do. "Do you even have a house?" is another common reaction.

"Yes, I have a house", I explain. "I like it very much". I can see the question in the other's face and so I continue. "When I'm at another person's house, my house sits empty unless one of my out of town friends or relatives needs to use it. Then, I get to have someone else live in my house while I'm living in someone else's house".

But, it is more complicated than that. My house almost always sits empty, unused and fairly idle, not using much gas, electricity or water. Of course, if I'm on a long sit I'll come home every 2-3 days. Pick up the mail, check my email (even if I have access where I'm staying, checking my email at home seems to keep the house 'alive'). I don't stay long and I seldom do any house or yard work. I simply come in and go out. Look the place over and continue on my way.

"Well, can't you leave where you are? my friends also ask. "Do you have to be with those animals all the time?" "Of course", I reply, "I can leave."

But the truth is I seldom want to. And I never like leaving at night. I feel my responsibility too strongly. Many people have pointed out that the dogs owners go out at night from time to time, but I know the value of a regular schedule and the wisdom of keeping trauma to a minimum and so I make it a rule not to go out at night unless absolutely necessary.

It is not an issue. I enjoy the solitude housesitting affords. It has been one of my goals for two years now. To use solitude for refreshment, reflection and creative regeneration.

"How's it working then?" is the enivitable next question.

At this point in a conversation, I see my friend's confusion. "Why not just take your solitude at home and stay in if you want solitude?" they ask. I'm ready for an answer and I give it with a practiced pace, patiently explaining the difference between forced solitude and chosen solitude. Besides, I would finalize, I'm getting paid for it too.

This seems to satisfy most people and we get on with our lives as though housesitting is as normal as any other activity. My friend's fall into two categories. The ones who would never give up their time at home to live in another's house and the ones who wonder what that would be like and applaud me in the adventure of it.

What about my house? My house seldom measures up to the houses I visit and live in for periods of time. Yet, when I come home, when I finally settle back in, unpack and do what I call 'bring my house back to life'. I am so pleased and happy to be in my house, I know it's all worth it.

I do miss the animals though and I miss having an animal of my own to share my house. Perhaps someday, I will.

No comments: