Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Me and Dogs

It was after sitting with Sasha and Seiga, the standard and toy poodles, that I realized I could have a profound effect on a dog just by my presence and actions. Their owners were delighted when they returned from their three week trip to Africa to find not only was Sasha well and happy, she had begun to play more, she looked alert and she was less anxious than previously.
Of course, some of that has to be attributed to the fact that my job was to tend to the dogs, that my first priority was always their care and attention. They in fact, received more care from me than their owners might not have at their disposal, with busy lifes and the durgery of everyday doggie duties.
But then I heard comments like, “Oh, he never approaches a new person like that,he must really like you” or “ She just layed down and fell asleep while you were there, that’s unheard of for her.”.When I made my initial visits prior to sitting for a family for the first time it was a frequent experience to hear these comments.
I was fascinated by how and why that would be. Did I have an effect on the animals or on the owners or both? I suspected it was both.
I knew from my years as a Human Resource professional and as a therapist that I did in fact have an effect on people. I was energetically involved in life at all times, and I knew that others were drawn to me for that reason. I began to think this is what life is for. To be all that we can, whenever and where ever we can. Dogs and people sense that because the dogs like what they can understand and people yearn for the same thing. At least that's my thoughts on the subject.

No comments: